Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Thoughtfulness and multi-tasking capacity

Has there been any research on this topic yet? I propose a negative correlation, although apparently some qualifications are needed here. I'm not in the research business anymore but would love to see some results coming out. Or it's just another topic that nobody even cares?

The thing is, normally my time running in the central park is the most productive (thought-wise) period in the day; but as I plugged in those little white earbuds to celebrate the one-year birthday of my nano and strutted onto the park, I walked away with a blank head after twenty minutes or so. A tenderly swelling sort of blankness, to be precise.

And an equally if not more tenderly burst of thoughts ensues when it's unplugged. Compensation effect?

A note about Google Scholar: whenever I search for "multi-tasking" with GS the results tend to be unsatisfactory. Those papers in engineering/ergonomics tend to top the chart, but they are at best remotely relevant to my question. Looks like the word who enjoys celebrity status in our lingua franca has a *humble* origin from engineering. How to confine the results to psychology/neuroscience/social science?

For instance, several months ago I was searching "multi-tasking and gender difference", a topic that had intrigued me for a long time. But the question remains unanswered. Not at a time when PhDs are fretting about the shortage/elusiveness of dissertation topics, right?

No comments: